I pressure cook the jicama strips in the Instant Pot or Foodi for 30 minutes before air-frying at the time shown for baking. See Note for pre-cooking.
Golden Baked Jicama FriesPrint Recipe
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and cut into thin slices about 1/4 inch thick (about 4-5 cups)
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- homemade guacamole, for serving (store-bought works too)
Preheat oven or air fryer to 400°F.
Place jicama slices into a large bowl, add oil, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly.
Spread the fries onto a baking stone or a baking sheet lined with a silpat mat or parchment paper making sure the fries aren’t crowded. They need space or else they will start to steam and get soft rather than crispy.
Bake for 30 minutes, take them out of the oven and flip, then bake for another 20-30 minutes or until fries are a little brown and have reached the desired texture.
Remove from oven and serve with guacamole for dipping.
* These jicama fries might be a tad on the crunchy side given jicama’s natural texture. If you want them with less crunch you can boil the jicama slices for 8-10 minutes, drain the water and pat the fries dry before coating them with the spices and baking.